Basic Horseshoeing Course
12 Weeks – $7000
This twelve week horseshoeing course is intended for the person who is interested in pursuing a career in horseshoeing. The student will learn the basics of horseshoeing and build on those skills to be able to trim and shoe horses. The topics studied include anatomy, physiology, conformation, gait analysis, tool maintenance, causes of lameness, trimming and shoeing. Along with the basics, the student will also learn corrective trimming and horseshoeing techniques. A higher level of forge work will be attained as the student learns how to shape and modify factory made horseshoes. Basic horseshoe making will also be introduced. The student will learn how to perform keg horseshoe modifications. Along with horseshoe making, the student will learn to make tools such as tongs, pritchels, punches, clinch cutters and more. Aspects of owning and operating a farrier business will be addressed and the importance of the farrier-client relationship.
|148 hours - Live horse shoeing|
|80 hours - Forging in shop|
|75 hours - Live horse trimming|
|55 hours - Shaping and modifying horseshoes|
|50 hours - Classroom work/Lectures|
|30 hours - Tool making and maintenance|
|25 hours - Demonstrations – trimming, shoeing, forging|
|10 hours - Tests – written and practical|
|5 hours - Horsemanship|
|2 hours - Shop safety|
|480 Total Hours|
|Monday, March 15, 2021 - Friday, June 4, 2021|
April 2nd and May 31st - No School
|Monday, June 7, 2021 - Friday, August 27, 2021|
July 5th - No School
|Monday, August 30, 2021 - Friday, November 19, 2021|
September 6th - No School
Tuition & Fees
- The tuition for each course is all inclusive.
- There are no extra fees or hidden charges incurred during the course.
- Tools will be provided for the student to use while enrolled at the school.
- A textbook will be available for each student.
- If a student prefers, they can purchase their own textbook.
- Free housing will be provided on the grounds where the school is located for the student to use while at the school and includes a kitchen and laundry area.
- Meals, bedding, and toiletries are not provided.